Sunday, February 9, 2014

Called to SERVE?

I HAVE never served on a jury. Elder has.   The only time I was summoned, I Called them to "check in" and They excused me due to the trial being settled out of court. So, of course, now that I am in the Philippines, I have been summoned for jury duty. I had a friend call and explain that I was not available. Too bad, They delayed it until July and said I had to respond myself, in writing, to "explain my circumstances". So, I did that, politely, and asked to be excused. Not good enough. I then Received the following:   

Subject: Re: Jury Summons for JoAnn Schlager

Ms. Schlager,
Please have someone from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
send us a letter, letting us know your situation and When They expect you to

Thank you,

Are you kidding me? So, I hope I do not get dragged back in handcuffs to Obey my summons! You gotta love the government!

Otherwise, this has been a really great week. We had some fun, some work, some successes, some special experiences.

Monday night, we
 met friends for dinner in the neighborhood, and then had ice cream outside and SWENSONS. ' Not like you all at home, in 10 inches of snow and 5 degrees F. !  

Views from the Terrace where we dined. Found some pretty good Chinese Food, too!

WE talked to most of our children on the phone, and I was able to talk to BOTH of my sisters. Have I Mentioned that we can call home Easily through our computer? We use Google Phone, and it costs us $ 0.01 per minute. Our friends, though, are using THEIR Magic Jack, and it costs them nothing, I guess. We brought the Ooma, but have not purchased a phone to use it. Six of one, half dozen of the other, as my Dad used to say.  

We worked a lot. Tues and Wed we shopped, and then played Santa Clause to lots of missionaries. During these visits, we also inspect the apartments, both for safety / maintenance and for cleanliness. So, I leave them treats. And report cards!
Thursday was a really good day. We "organized ourselves, and " PREPARED every needful thing", (like our lunch and dinner) and then left the apartment about 10:00. Ephsians We drove to Apt., And delivered needed items to four sisters, including an old friend, Sister Tingey. They live in a lovely top floor apartment that They will have to leave, as they are all in one Bedroom and Sister Revillo wants that changed.
Then we drove to Provident, two S isters in a huge place that used to be elders. They needed curtains. So, Elder's got to use His power tool again, and climbed ladders and made ​​holes in concrete walls, and had a great time. We left them happy, too.
Then we went to the office, took care of some business, and had our lunch. Cool and comfortable.  

Then we drove out to Angono to see Chris, the member who builds beds, tables, desks, racks, etc.. .. .. for us. We picked up two sets of bunk beds, and ordered new things. We delivered those to the sisters in Humilidad, in Taytay. They have been sleeping on the floor, and helped us carry them up to the second floor of a three story condo THEIR. (They were REALLY glad to get them!) Also, nice, but built like a tower of blocks. High and tight. We let them "shop" in our bins, as They are in a new apartment and it needed a few items.

While there, we also visited the Adam sisters, five of them in two adjoining apartments, and delivered the things They asked for last week when we were there.  

Then we came back to the city and went south, to meet the sisters and Pateros look and new apartments for them. Met the landlady, explained the church policy, and approved two, one a little small, the other a little "high". Sister Revillo will talk to her and make a decision. We were home by 6:00, and had dinner all PREPARED and waiting for us.  
Finally, We spent an hour editing the personal testimony of Elder Osores, 26, a nurse, and now an AP. He was asked to write it for Elder Echo Hawk, and it is beautiful. It was a sensitive thing to do, as we wanted to correct His English for him a little bit, but not change the Spirit of His words.  
All tolled, we managed to love, serve, and delight 15 sisters. And to help and please one Elder. Not a bad day at all!

 It was definitely time to go see Bea again, but we have just been so busy. Finally we were going in that direction, so I insisted on putting a haircut on my agenda. Elder was reluctant. After my last visit, I had to use threats. "If it comes down to YOU ​​ME getting dinner or getting a haircut, I am GETTING a haircut". Well, he left me there and went to the shop for the job and for us. She said,
"Your hair is too long". Well, yeah! Then she said, "Where is your bodyguard?" Anyway, back to looking good for a little while. Also made time to have mani-pedi done. Much more expensive in the shop in my new neighborhood. I will have to find another place! (Still, though, very cheap by U.S. standards. About $ 20.)

We spent Friday as a P-day, with Johnsons, (more play than preparation, I think!) But got some shopping done too.  

SATURDAY we were invited to come back to Sampaloc to a Primary Activity. Sister Eva held it at her in-laws home, and it was great. She "had no budget," are priority always confuses me, But they manage anyway. She had the children come and They had cut down bamboo to make banks for them to save money for THEIR missions in. Bamboo, of course, is free. When cut up into segments, (with a Machete!) It has a solid barrier inside and dmg dmg dmg dmg dmg each segment. So, They cut it so that the barrier is on dmg dmg dmg dmg dmg each end of the piece, making a hollow tube you can not get into. Then, the children smoothed them out and made them nice and pretty, (also with machetes, sigh!) And then cut a slit in them. 
Pretty cool, right? We donated one peso per bank to get them started. They can not be opened (except with a Machete!). When we got there, the Machete work was going on in earnest, with a lot of help from the Jardine's and the 4 full time missionaries. Also, of course, eating. We were given a cup of small balls of dough (below below) to eat. Warm chocolate milk full of pieces of potato, purple, and lots of tapioca. Sort of a pudding.  

Then, everyone played for a little bit. It is a beautiful place. I got to man the hammock swing for the little ones for a while. I had no desire to join the team Machete!

They needed Several motors.

And then piled on more ...........

Sister Jardine, recent Stake Primary President, was having a wonderful time! 

    Then lunch. Stew cooked over the fire, lots of rice, hot dogs, and tang. Over here, the "stone soup" method is alive and well. No one has enough to actually "throw a party", but everyone Brings a little of what They do not have, and it somehow works out. I am always amazed at how the children are hungry. They eat rice with great big spoons, by the plateful. And everyone had a really good day!

    On the way home, we stopped to do more shopping at the Cogeo Wet / Dry market. This is the "Walmart" of the Philippines, sort of. One stop shopping. Here is the donut shop, (the bakery dept), and the clothing aisles, and the plastics shop where we buy tables, chairs, dishes caddys, bottles for cleaning supplies, glasses and plastic cups and scrub boards, and,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    Across the street, I buy mangoes, corn on the cob and, and green beans, and bananas, and cucumbers. Radishes, cabbage, tiny broccoli, and cauliflower. You can get meat, too, butchered for you. I DO.  

    Today we went back to church in our new branch. I skipped the adult Sunday School class, done in Tagalog. BORING! Could not stay awake last week,. I am sure it is not boring for those who understand the jokes, but I do not. So, I invited myself to Primary. Very different there, of course, But they welcomed me.  

    And, I made a new friend. This is Rayzel Anne. She looked so cute, and wanted to talk to me and sit by me. So, I bribed her. Sit and be good, and I will take your picture. Her shoes had about 3 inch heels. They REALLY like shoes, and the fancier the better. And, of course, she can manage them fine. They would be a sprained ankle waiting to happen, for me.
    I do have a funny senior missionary story this week. One of the sisters has a brother serving a mission also. When They went out, he took it very seriously, are priority we all do, really. But he felt that They had to do what the young elders and sisters do. Keep the schedule for study, etc.. .. .. Well, we do and we can not. Actually, most of us have more like a 9-5 job, and if we do not we make our own schedule to get our work done. But, he wanted to "get up at 6:30, 7:00 until exercise, get showered and dressed in proselyting clothes, have breakfast, study from 8:30 to 10:00,,,,,,,,,, well you get the picture. She, However, was having trouble with that.  

    In frustration, he counseled with His Mission President. "I do not know what to do. Sister does not want to get up when i do, and I AM THE SENIOR COMPANION. It is my job to get this done. What should I do?"
    His mission president said, "Elder, Sister Sometimes ________________ has the same problem. Do you know what I do?"

    Well, this brother was anxious to know. He really expected to get some magic answer to help him be "the senior companion." 

    President said, "When Sister does not want to get up, I tip toe out of the room, close the door as quietly as I can, stay out of the way and LET HER REST".  

    I love this story. Whether I am not sure he is a better husband, or mission president, but he must be a really good man!   

    1 comment:

    1. Mom, your short haircut looks great! You are so skinny though! Dad has the classic roughed up white shirt collar of a tropical Elder.